It is a medical eye condition , which usually affects older people and is characterized by loss of visual acuity in the central part of the visual field due to damage of retinal tissue or macula tissue ( macula lutea ) . It occurs in two forms , as a ' dry ' and ' wet ' form .
It represents one of the major causes of loss in visual acuity ( with cataract ) in the elderly population , over 50 years old. In advanced disease states , reading is difficult and recognizing facial features of people in the environment , which significantly distorts quality of their lives. Periphery vision remains mostly intact, so the movement and other daily activities are possible.
Macula lutea (macula) is the area of the retina , which is crucial for the quality of central vision . In the case of the development of ' dry ' (non exudative form) AMD leads to the accumulation of cellular deposits , that accumulate under the retina and the lifting off of the posterior pole of the eye. A more severe form of AMD , " wet " ( exudative ) is characterized by ingrowth of blood vessels under the retina (or macula lutea) , also leading to its raising . In both cases, a loss in visual acuity , to a lesser or greater extent .
Early changes in the initial AMD as a rule do not affect vision to a significant extent . This fact often does not indicate that the patient has a serious eye problem . With periodic review of ophthalmologists , the disease would have been recognized at the very beginning and its progression could be avoided or slowed down.
- Displacement of pigment of macula lutea
- Exudative changes, ocular bleeding, the occurrence of hard exudates with crystals, intra-retinal accumulation of fluid
- Decrease of visual acuity
- Blurred vision
- The central visual field defects
- diagnosed by CVF, MILMEDIC possesses such a device
- sensation the patient to make the lines look distorted or winding
- Disturbance of perception of colors
- Slower recovery of visual function after exposure to bright light
- Decrease or loss of contrast sensitivity
- Aging , studies show that 10 % of the population between 66 and 74 years of age, showing signs of the disease in different stages
- Family history, nearly half of patients who have close relatives with the disease which is manifested in the course of time will also get yourself
- Increased exposure to ultra - violet radiation ( sunlight )
- The existence of the gene for the complement system proteins factor H ( CFH ) , factor B ( CFB) and factor 3 ( C3 ) , is significantly associated with the development of disease
- Stargardt 's disease
- cellular deposits of macula lutea
- High blood pressure ( hyper tension )
- Elevated cholesterol and triglycerides
- A high intake of fat and unhealthy diet
- Oxidative stress, accumulation of specific forms oligomers of melanin , the pigment retinal epithelium
- Affiliation to white race
- Cigarette smoking.
Treatment of the wet form of AMD is using AntiVEGF therapy.
If you have any questions, feel free to contact us, our team will be happy to answer any of them!
+381 60 36 90 900
Monday - Friday::